Saturday, November 28, 2009

Day 7 of 40 Days of Prayer

Scripture: Psalm 73:21-26

Meditation: Several years ago, Susan and I were searching for a congregation where we could work and worship. We had looked at several other congregations before looking at University, but University felt like family after only a few visits. One young married couple took us into their lives. Several other families followed, giving us love and a sense of belonging. Some of the elders and their wives agonized with us over our son’s problem and gave us godly advice and prayers. Susan and I found useful roles in this family. We had been accepted into a real family that faithfully follows Romans 12:15-16. Our UCOC family shows Godly characteristics in that they really care as our Father cares. This came home to me when Susan went to be with the Father. You wept with me at my loss; you rejoiced with me that Susan was free from pain and suffering. The great number of church members who were at the memorial service impressed Susan’s family, who were used to small, just family funerals. I tried to make them understand that this was a family gathering. My UCC family still watches over me and checks up on me to be sure I am all right. The great number of prayers they have offered for me has helped tremendously.

-Ed Whitliff

Prayer: Father, we thank you that when you saved us, you added us to a family. We know that our faith wouldn't be nearly as strong if we were alone. Help us to grow in our appreciation and participation in your church. Help us to be someone others can count on for love and support.

No comments: