Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Revelation Simplified Chapters 1-3


ACT 1: Christ in the Midst of the Seven Lampstands – Revelation 1-3


Scene 1: The Vision of Christ and the Lampstands – Rev. 1


Scene 2: The Letters from Christ to the 7 Churches of Asia – Rev. 2-3


1. 1. Introduction – 1:1-3

a. Blessing for those who

i. Read

ii. Hear

iii. Keep

b. Timing

i. Must Soon Take Place

ii. For the Time is Near

22. Source / Authorship – 1:4-8

a. God

i. Who Is

ii. Who Was

iii. Who Is to Come

b. Spirit

i. Seven Spirits

ii. Before His Throne

c. Jesus Christ

i. Faithful Witness

ii. Firstborn of the Dead

iii. Ruler of the Kings on Earth

iv. Loves Us

v. Freed Us From our Sins by His Blood

vi. Made us a Kingdom, [of] Priests

vii. He Is Coming

3. The Writer – John
a.
Brother and Partner

i. In the Tribulation

ii. In the Kingdom

b. Exiles on Patmos

i. On Account of the Word of God

ii. On Account of the Testimony of Jesus

c. In the Spirit on the Lords’ Day

4. The Vision
a.
The Seven Golden Lampstands

b. The Son of Man

i. Long robe with a golden sash around his chest

ii. Hair, white like wool

iii. Eyes like a flame of fire

iv. Feet like burnished bronze

v. Voice like the roar of many waters

vi. Held Seven Stars in Right Hand

vii. Sharp two-edges sword from mouth - (Isaiah 11:4 - but with righteousness he shall judge the poor, and decide with equity for the meek of the earth; and he shall strike the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips he shall kill the wicked.)

viii. Face like the Sun

5. The Vision Explained

a. The Son of Man is Jesus

i. Raised from the Dead

ii. Having the Keys of Death & Hades

b. The Seven Stars are the angels (messengers) of the seven churches

c. The Seven Lampstands are the seven Churches

Outline of the letters:

I. The Author – An aspect of the vision of Jesus that John had just seen

II. I Know

III. Commendation

IV. Condemnation

V. Warning

VI. Promise

1. Ephesus: The Church Which Left its First Love

a. The Author – Holds the Seven Stars & Walks Among the Lampstands

b. Commendation

i. I know your works, toil, and patience

ii. I know you cannot tolerate false teaching

iii. I know you have not grown weary

c. Condemnation – You have left your first love

d. Warning – Repent and do the works you did at first

e. Promise – Eat of the Tree of Life in Paradise

2. Smyrna: The Church that was Faithful Unto Death

a. The Author – the First & the Last, who Died and Came to Life again

b. Commendation –

i. I know your tribulation

ii. I know your poverty – but you’re really rich

c. Condemnation – NONE

d. Warning – Only of full suffering

e. Promise – Crown of Life and not hurt by second death

3. Pergamos: The Church in Hell’s Headquarters

a. The Author – has the sharp two edged sword

b. Commendation

i. I know you dwell where Satan dwells

ii. I know you hold fast my name

iii. I know you did not deny my faith

c. Condemnation

i. Some hold to the teaching of Balaam

ii. Some hold to the teaching of the Niolatians

d. Warning – Repent or else

e. Promise

i. Eat of the Hidden Manna

ii. Whit stone with a new name on it.

4. Thyatira: The Church Threatened from Within

a. The Author – Eyes like Fire and feet like bronze

b. Commendation

i. I know your works, love, ministry, patience

ii. I know your works have increased

c. Condemnation – You tolerate the woman Jezebel to seduce my servants

d. Warning – Repent or join Jezebel’s destruction

e. Promise – authority over the nations and the morning star

5. Sardis: The Church of the Living Dead

a. The Author – has the seven spirits of God and the seven stars

b. Commendation – NONE

c. Condemnation – You’re dead

d. Warning – I’m coming like a thief in the night

e. Promise – Will walk with me in white and I’ll confess their name before God

6. Philadelphia: The Church with the Open Door

a. The Author – The Holy One who has the keys of David

b. Commendation

i. I know your works

ii. I know you have but little power

iii. I know you have kept my word and not denied my name

c. Condemnation – NONE

d. Warning – Hold fast what you have

e. Promise

i. The Jews will know that I have loved you

ii. Protection during time of trial about to come

iii. Make a pillar in the temple of my God

7. Laodicea: The Church that Makes Jesus Sick

a. The Author – The Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of God’s Creation

b. Commendation – NONE

c. Condemnation

i. Because you’re lukewarm, I will vomit you out of my mouth

ii. You are wretched, poor, blind, and naked

d. Warning – Be Zealous and Repent

e. Promise – Will sit with Jesus on his throne

1 comment:

John Wheeler said...

For the audio of this class go to www.UniversityChurchDenver.org and click on Resources.