Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Go Do Like He Done

This relates to the original purpose of 'Ahithopehl's Journal.' (If this is your first time here, be sure to read the first post from December 2007).

My mother Alta, went to Washington DC in the 8th grade as a participant in the National Spelling Bee. Unfortunately, the “spelling gene” skipped me. You have probably noticed this if you have ever been in a class where I have used a white board on which to write class points. (The truth is, I’m really a better speller than it appears, I’m just so focused on what I’m teaching that I’m not concentrating on spelling - at least that’s my story and I’m sticking to it!) But I do admit that I’m not the best speller, so I can relate to the following story. The application of this story is for all of us, whether we’re good spellers or not -to remind us not to get caught up in 'Ahithophel thinking'.

When the newly hired salesman wrote his first sales report to the home office, it stunned the brass in the sales department. Obviously the new “hope” was a blithering illiterate, for here is what he had written:

“I seen this outfit which they ain’t never boughts a dimes worth of nothing form us, and I sole them a couple hundred thoughsand dollars of guds. I am now getin to Chcawgo.”


Before he could be given the heave-ho by the sales manager, along came another letter:


“I get here and sole them hafa million.”


Fearful if he did, and fearful if he didn’t fire the illiterate peddler, the sales manager decided to dump the problem in the lap of the president. The following morning the members of the ivory tower were flabbergasted to see the two reports on the bulletin board, and a note from the president tacked above them:


“We ben spending too much trying to spel instead of tying to sel. Lets watch those sails. I want everybody should read these letters form Gooch who is on the rode doing a grate job for us, and you should go and do like he done.”


It is so tempting for us, to expend a lot of time and energy on details that are not really critical to what it means to be a follower of Christ. It is our tendency to want to be right, but often about the wrong things. I have to constantly remind myself of what is essentially important: Living a holy life before the God of my salvation; living as salt & light in a corrupt and dark world; and Loving God with all my heart.

No comments: