Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Finding Stuff


I love finding stuff. From way back, I've been a scavenger. I remember as a kid when my dad took me with him to the dump in El Paso, to get rid of some stuff. We unloaded the truck, and then spent about an hour or so walking around looking for stuff other people had thrown away. I think we brought back more stuff than we took.

Over the years I've found a few things; like the tie I found in the parking lot of The Bridgewater Commons Mall. It was still in the package, but with no receipt. I took it to the Customer Service Center in the Mall (Wouldn't you have done the same?) and turned it in. They took my name and phone number, and two weeks later called me to come pick it up, because no one came to claim it. I still wear it and get lots of compliments on it.

Today I found a pair of pliers. I was pulling out of Starbucks (yea I know, for 2 tall frappuccinos I could have bought my own pliers) and there they were lying in the street. No one was coming, so I got out and picked them up. I've found several interesting tools over the years that way. My favorite is a huge box wrench, which I've actually used as a wrench only once.

Finding stuff is great, because it is usually an unexpected bonus to the daily routine. Today, finding stuff made me think of another great find one day along time ago.

It must have been overwhelming for Josiah when Hilkiah the priest found the Book of the Law of the Lord (2 Chron 34). Wow! Now there's something worth finding. How they lost it in the first place is rather mind boggling - but that's another story.

I hope you find something worthwhile today. I know I have. A pair of pliers -reminded me of what I have found in Jesus.

No comments: