Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Juror #35

I did my civic duty. I was juror #35. It is an interesting experience to be involved in the jury selection process for a criminal trial. We were asked all kinds of questions. It is amazing how many people (out of 40) have law enforcement officers in their family, have been victims of crime, as well as having themselves been arrested. I met a couple of interesting people: One lady, juror #14, is a member of the Gateway Church of Christ and had served on a jury before. Another lady, juror #26, mentioned that her husband was a golf-trick-shot artist that worked at many golfing events & tournaments. I met another guy, juror #25, I visited with during our last break before the final jury selection was made.

I really didn't think I would even come close to being selected, but as juror numbers were being called, I began to wonder. Juror #1, 2, 3 were called, then #5, then #11, #21, then #25, my new acquaintance. Then the numbers jumped to #29, 30, 31, 32 - at this point I realized that I was going to be chosen, unless they skipped me - #33, 34, I held my breath, #40.

Many are called, but few are chosen.
Maybe next time I won't wear my "What part of 'Lake of Fire' don't you understand?" T-Shirt.

No comments: