Friday, December 4, 2009

Day 13 of 40 Days of Prayer

Scripture: Hebrews 13:6

Meditation: I don’t recall the exact context of the Bible lesson that branded itself in my memory. The message, however, etched itself on my heart, and when my faith is flailing, it is this lesson I return to for strength.

God calls me to remember what He has done for me. I haves such a short memory, and often forget the many ways He walks beside me and even carries me through my day-to-day life.

Earlier this year, my mom developed some abdominal pain. Given her health history, this event concerned me. Over the next few days, the pain worsened, prompting an early morning emergency room visit. After testing, the doctor determined her intestines were likely twisted, and told me that they could untwist or worsen and block her intestine. He said it would likely take a few days to resolve itself – one way or the other. I was worried.

While watching my mom in such extreme pain, I asked God to heal her. I prayed, “God I believe you can heal her. Please help my unbelief.” I prayed without ceasing for the remainder of the time in the emergency room, and on our way home. Later that day, miraculously, the pain in my mom’s abdomen abated.

I believe God healed my mom to help her, but to also strengthen my faith that day. I know that not all my prayers will be resolved with such a positive outcome, but this event served as a powerful reminder that God has my mom and me in His care continually. And when my faith needs a little boost, I remember the events of that day.

“So we say with confidence, ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?’” Hebrews 13:6
-Pam Haines

Prayer: God of Heaven & Earth, we pray, but sometimes we confess, we're just going through the motions. Please open our eyes to see when you answer our prayers. So we will know that prayer isn't just an exercise, but an expression of our dynamic relationship with you.

No comments: