Saturday, December 26, 2009

Day 35 of 40 Days of Prayer

Scripture: 1 Peter 1:17-24

Meditation: I was adopted when I was an infant. I don’t recall a moment when I realized I was adopted; it was just something I knew. It was also something my parents celebrated. They made sure that I knew it didn’t make me less of their child but that I was a special part of the family just like my brothers and sisters were all special, unique parts of our family.

In reality, we are ALL adopted. God has adopted us into His family. Ephesians 1:4-6 says “For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will…” We did not come into God’s family by chance. He chose us. He searched for us and bought us at a great price. We are heirs to His kingdom. We are His children.

Blood is an important part of families as well. Now, for the first time ever I have someone who is related to me by blood in my new daughter, Addison. God adopted us through the blood of his son. To me, there is something special about families being formed not only by blood but by choice and by love. My parent’s chose me and chose to give me the privileges of being a part of their family. As people who have been adopted by God we should work to understand what it means to have the privilege of being adopted by God, of being a part of His family. That changes our identity. We have a place in the kingdom of heaven as heirs of the King. We have been adopted by the God of Creation.
-Shiloh Jones

Prayer: Abba, Father, you have loved us, not because of what we have done, but because it is your essence to love. The price you paid for us was staggering, and we know that we are not worthy of that precious gift. So all we can do is bow before your great love, and give our lives to you in return. Thank you for rescuing us, adopting us, and for making us to be a bride for your son.

No comments: