Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Day 31 of 40 Days of Prayer

Scripture: 1 Timothy 6:6-10

Meditation: My Daddy! When I think about my daddy and who he was, these things came to mind: he was a hard worker, he was trustworthy, honest, and funny, he was the story teller of the family, and he was very content.

He was content with what he had. He made "enough" money to spend time with his family; he was always at all of our ball games, we went on vacations every summer, we always went to church together, and he liked the "home' he and my mom made. He would rather be there than anywhere else. He always had the biggest and best garden since I can remember. He loved sharing it with everyone. It gave him such joy to give someone tomatoes, peppers, squash, potatoes, or whatever was in season. He and my mom would can beans, squash relish, salsa, jelly and give it away - oh the joy he got by sharing it all.

I can remember asking him on his birthday or Christmas, “What do you want?” He'd say, “Nothing; don't' get me anything.” Well I finally started listening throughout the year to the things he would talk about. One year when we lived in New Jersey we took him to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY. He loved baseball and really enjoyed going there. (That also made my day; I was so happy to see the pleasure he got in going there.) Another year John and the boy's took him to The Cowboy Hall of Fame in Oklahoma City. He loved that probably most of all because he got to go with John, Chad and Kyle. It made his day when we would just call to say hello and I love you. It's not the ‘stuff’ we remember, it's the experiences and times together.

I just wanted to remind us all to make a memory with the ones you love. I really don't think any of us need more stuff but we do need to feel loved and cherished! I know I felt that by my daddy and I believe he felt that way by me.

-Leisa Wheeler

Prayer: Father, I confess that the worlds stuff has too strong of a hold on me. I need help letting go. Teach me to value relationships and people more than things. Help me to store up true treasures in heaven rather than trying to accumulate more things here.

No comments: