Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Day 18 of 40 Days of Prayer

Scripture: Psalm 116:8-9

Meditation: A period of my life led me down a lonely road of depression years ago.

Loneliness. Depression. Fear. These are cruel taskmasters of the soul, slave-drivers that try to rob us of our hope and joy. They turn our focus inward, pulling a dark curtain over our eyes so we can’t see God’s love for us.

But there is good news today! God wants to break through the dark clouds and restore our sense of joy and purpose in life. How do we know this is true? In the Psalms we are given an intimate look into King David’s heart. He often faced loneliness, depression, and fear—but he also found God’s abundant victory:

For You, O Lord, have delivered my soul from death,

My eyes from tears,

My feet from stumbling,

That I may walk before the Lord

In the land of the living (Psalm 116:8-9).

God can deliver us as well! Hold on to the promises of His Word. I did and it brought me through some of the darkest storms in my life.

-Jack Patterson

Prayer: Father, you don't always protect me from harm, but help me to trust that you will always protect me in the midst of harm. Let me learn how to walk with you, even when the ground under me has fallen away.

No comments: