Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Day 38 of 40 Days of Prayer

Scripture: 1 Peter 2:4-10

Meditation: When I was growing up, relatives all gathered around for my birthday parties. There were never fewer than two dozen! I remember the anticipation. Waking up early and then having nothing to do but wait the day away. You see, I never had to go to school on my birthday either! And no, I wasn’t born in the summer. I was just special. Special, with a family that loved me, kept me home from school, and had huge birthday parties!

As far as I was concerned, this was all done just for me. Never mind that our relatives gathered for everyone’s birthday. Never mind that there was no school because it was a holiday! You see I was born on Memorial Day. For those too young to remember, that was May 30th, before they got the wise idea to change all the holidays to a Monday. So every year, no matter the day, I was home from school on my birthday.

As I grew up I realized that my privileged feeling wasn’t because it all revolved around me. My perspective changed right along with other transformations taking place. If May 30th wasn’t a Monday, I no longer got the day off. My family began moving away and the party attendants decreased in number. But one thing never changed. I was part of a family that loved me.

As God’s child, I am fortunate to have another family that loves me too. My physical family loves me because of who I am. My spiritual family loves me because of whose I am. WOW! Perhaps I truly am special. And fortunate too! Thank you Jesus.
-Sheri Roberts

Prayer: Father, thank you for giving us a new birthday! Thank you for the spiritual family you have given me. Thank you for the price you had to pay to make this all possible. I know I need to grow up in your grace and holiness, even after all these years of being a Christian, I know I'm not yet all that you want me to be. Help me to keep learning your ways.

No comments: